11.12.2007

Time flies when you're doing...the same old, same old

Well, okay, so I'm not doing the same old, same old, necessarily...I'm still knitting like a [nerdy] fiend; I'm still working [we have yet to win the lottery]; I'm still living with the Beast and Nerdy Hubby.

So what is new, you ask?

Well, I've completed teaching my very first knitting class. Our last class was 11/3. I think the students were pleased with what they learned, although none of them left with an actual finished object. They said that was fine...I hope it was. They all said they would take another class with me, which is a good sign.

I'm going to be teaching a more advanced class in the spring (February): knitting in the round. We're going to make a bag, probably something like the Everlasting Bagstopper.

Speaking of the EB (I'm too lazy to type that out all over again)--I've made 2 of them, but have yet to attach the handles to the second one. I've also made 2 more cabled newsboy caps, but have yet to sew up the brims. I just finished my very first ever tam o'shanter (what a fun name):


Me in my tam

It was a lot of fun to make, and I like the way it looks, but I'm not sure I'll ever wear it. I might donate it to a shelter or something. We'll see. It might become a gift for someone somewhere...

Here's a close-up of the hat itself:

Tam o'shanter

And here's the other side:

yes, it's the same tam

In other news of unfinished items, I've got a cute-as-pie pair of "pocketbook slippers" that need buttons & finishing. Here's one:

Pocketbook slippers, anyone?

I know it doesn't look like much there, but when you put it on your foot, it becomes this adorable little maryjane-like slipper. I'll post another photo once I've got the buttons on.

And last, but definitely not least, is this little sweater (Trellis) for my friend's son's first birthday, which happens to be 1 day after my [37th] birthday:

You only turn 1 once

It's a quick knit--anything for a small critter goes so quickly--and the color is lovely. I'm on the left front now, and hope to move on to the right front before too much time passes. Then it's the sleeves and the button bands and seaming...painful seaming. Ugh. How I hate seaming...

But it's soooo cute, I think I'll be motivated to sew it together just to see it in finished form. Not to mention the deadline of the birthdate to keep me in line. . .

I had a lovely weekend with lots of time for knitting--including a visit from my friend, J. She's working on a poncho with knit-on edging and a pair of socks from her own delicious handspun. Someday I'll get to spin and spin and spin, and maybe I'll have luscious yarn like hers. Maybe.

Oh--on a non-knitting note (pun intended--you'll see): we went to our friend's house for dinner on Friday night, and he & I attempted to give a recital. He plays piano, and for those of you who don't know this about me, I play the flute. E had copies of the piano music for just a few weeks, and we had never played together...you can imagine how it went. Lots of "Wait--where were you?" and "Let's start again." But it was a lot of fun. I hope we'll get to do that again. He's coming to the Nerdy House for Thanksgiving, but I doubt his piano will fit into his car, so no Thanksgiving Day recitals at the Nerdy House. Rats.

But for now, it's all Trellis, all the time, as the deadline is looming. Happy week before Thanksgiving, everyone.


3 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger Bess said...

Oh - I hope you do wear the tam - it's quite becoming on you. I love fair isle tams anyway - they offer so much scope for colorwork.

Lots of beautiful knitting on your blog this time. I intended to comment earlier this week but got sidetracked.

Happy thanksgiving holiday - you lucky week off girl!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger CraftyGryphon said...

Ooo, the tam-o-shanter is cute! That's totally going in my queue, thanks for the pointer to it.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger TheBlackSheep said...

I LOVE the Trellis sweater. Must llok at pattern later when not blocked by firewall.

And the tam-o-shanter is adorable! That's a lot of work for a charity donation, but then someone who isn't otherwise priviledged might really appreciate it's warmth and beauty.

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home