2.05.2007

Brooke Shields and me, me and Brooke Shields

This post could be titled "Why I love visiting our friends in Maryland."

When I arrived after having gone for 6 months (or so) without seeing our pals, the first thing out of Nerdy Hubby's best friend's mouth? "You look great!"

His wife? She tells me there's something "different" about me...what could it be? My glasses? My hair? No...something less obvious. "I know! It's like Brooke Shields...she looks better now than she ever did. Some people just look better older. THAT's what it is. You look great now." So, people--get ready for an ego trip. I, your little nerdy knitter, am just like Brooke Shields. Yup. Who would-a thunk it?

Okay, so I didn't attend an Ivy League school...I didn't appear in a major movie before I was 18...and I don't have outrageous eyebrows....

But other than that--Man, I'm Brooke Shields, dammit!

Boy, I love going to Maryland!

Now for some sad news: our little guy (Henry, the pooch of our dreams) had a really tough day in Maryland. Something happened to his tail, and now he can't lift it very high or wag it. The poor guy even whimpered when he ran to catch up to me yesterday. His tail is just hanging there, kinda crooked. He's tired because being with all of the guests at the Super Bowl party was stressful for him, and we drove late at night and he didn't get to bed until close to 1am, but his non-wagging tail makes him look so pathetic, you just want to cry.

I can hear all of you animal lovers out there asking "Aren't you going to take him to the vet, for pete's sake?" Yes, we have an appointment, but it's not until tomorrow morning (there was an appt available this afternoon, but Nerdy Hubby would have had to take him solo, which is difficult at the best of times). We're hoping it's a gland "issue" that the vet can unblock, but we won't know until tomorrow. Meantime, Henry's lounging on the couch, napping, etc., being a sick pup.

In knitting news (oh, that's right--I am a knitter, aren't I?), on the trip to MD, I started a project from One Skein...it's an itty-bitty baby hat. I finished it yesterday, and here it is on the model:

Let me tell you about my new hat

Cute, no? That's the 2nd baby for our best friends, and he's a luscious, adorable peanut, with or without the cute hat.

And now I'm starting on a secret project for a pal. I can't tell you what it is, because then my pal will figure it all out. But here's a taste of what it looks like in its early stage:


I can't tell you what this is, but isn't it pretty?


Now it's time to go back to work. Sigh. Mondays stink, no matter how you look at it.

6 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Oh, I recently made that hat too. It's just the best little baby hat pattern around.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

It's funny--I wasn't in love with the photo of the hat, but I saw it at Stitches East, and it was too cute for words. And the mother of the baby was with me at Stitches and LOVED it, so I figured it was an easy decision--I knew she'd love it, and I had yarn left from the Wonderful Wallaby I made for her other boy, so now they can match. Perfect, really.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Oops--when I said "the photo of the hat," I meant to also say "in the book." I'm a dingbat!

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Henry's o.k. I know what the secret item is, and it's gorgeous! I love that pattern. :-) What yarn are you using?

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... I had to go find a more recent picture of Brooke Shields when you said something - waddaya know?! she DOES look better with age...

The baby & hat make a nice pair - both are just too cute!!

Awww poor puppy :-( ... I remember when my doggy would get sick, it was always so sad because he was usually such a happy 102lb ball of fluff (that thought he was a lap dog...).

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Well, Pink Dandelion, now that you've seen Brooke, I really can't post any photos of myself--the contrast would be striking, to say the least.

But at least I know I'm improving with age. :-)

Knitting Librarian--I'm using Lion Brand's Wool Ease in a cranberry color. It looks kind of pinkish in the photo, but it's actually a very deep cranberry that I love. I hope the recipient willl, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home