8.25.2006

Surprise!

The worst thing about being a surprise present-giver is that you can't ever hear whether the person enjoyed their surprise. Yes, yes, I know, I'm being selfish about my "generous" gift, but I would love to have a way to see/hear whether the recipient understood why I made the gift I made, etc.

Why am I writing about this now, you ask? (I know you did--I heard you!)

Because, on Monday, in our aforementioned never-ending all-employees meeting, a member of our faculty told a story that was very difficult for her to share. It was about her daughter's health, and the health of her daughter's new-born baby. It sounded to me like they'd been through a really tough time, and I felt inspired to do something nice for the grandparents (both of whom work where I work, and are favorites among the students here). So, I chose the Elizabeth Zimmerman Baby Surprise Jacket (available here, #1B), and some mint-green yarn I had in my stash.

Presto-Change-o, 3 days later, I had this:


What the heck is this?

And then, with a few folds in just the right places, 2 seams, and 5 buttons, I had this:

Surprise (again)!

Tee hee hee. It's so cute! I just hope the baby isn't too big already. I think the baby was born 2 months ago, but was seriously premature, weighing about 5 pounds, so I'm figuring the little sweater will still fit. Plus, being in loose garter stitch, there's some stretch built in there.

I wrapped the little sweater and put an unsigned "congratulations" card with it and left it in the grandmother's on-campus mailbox this morning. I just checked on my way to lunch, and she has cleared out her box, which means she has it in her hot little hands...I wonder if she has opened it...oh, I'm such a bad gift-giver! The anticipation kills me every time.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jacket is gorgeous!! I guarantee the recipient really appreciated it. And it was a wonderful thing for you to do!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

That was so sweet of you! And the cardi looks wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home