4.24.2006

Yahoo--finished object!!

The Rhapsody in Tweed sweater is complete! Do I have photos of the sweater? Sadly, no. Do I have a photo of Nerdy Hubby wearing the sweater? Sadly, another no.

But soon, I swear! It was too sticky (hot, rainy, etc) this weekend for any contact with wool, but I'll get a photo of Nerdy Hubby tonight, maybe. He looks really handsome in it--neither one of us anticipated how flattering the semi-turtleneck collar would be on him. He's a Nerdy Hottie Hubby in that sweater.

Now I've switched gears and am working on a secret wedding gift for a knitting friend who's getting married in a little more than a month. Eek! I'm not even 1/4 of the way done yet...I'd better get knitting!

Non-knitting content:

We spent a good portion of our day/evening yesterday
planting new stuff at our house. We dug, we mixed clay-cutter with dirt, we mixed in nutrient-enhanced soil...we "misted," and we patted down mounds and mounds of dirt.

Even though all of the plants we bought were small-ish in size, it's incredible what a difference they're already making in the homey feel of our immediate yard. We have a small, 1970s era ranch house situated on 2 acres of land. Most of the yard is on one side of our driveway, and our house is on the other side. So our house doesn't have much "yard" to speak of. It's also on a hill, so a good part of our otherwise buried foundation is exposed to the world and it's not pretty. The gardenias will mask the ugly foundation and the clematis will climb up the posts of our deck. The creeping ground cover plants will (hopefully) spread out to control some minor erosion we have going on near our driveway turn-around.

It's a lot of fun for me to work on gardening stuff, but I'm not very good at the upkeep (translation: anything involving weeding). Luckily, Nerdy Hubby is good at the follow-up stuff, and enjoys it, so I get to be the queen and just celebrate the beauty we've created while Nerdy Hubby keeps everything alive.

I think I'm going to try to plant some flower seeds next weekend, but it involves a lot of digging/preparing the soil since it's an area currently covered in grass. Nerdy Hubby has had his fill of ripping up grass to make way for plants. We'll see how strong I feel on Friday. I have discovered a few new torso muscles that had been deceptively silent until the gardening workout yesterday. I assume they'll be relaxed and ready to work again by Friday--I certainly hope so, at least!


If all goes as planned, I'll try to take some photos of the "after" gardens. We still need to coat everything in mulch, which I don't love, but everything we bought recommended mulching the base of the plants to protect the roots. I guess if it's good for the plants, it's something we should do...phooey. I don't know why, but mulch just bothers my asthetic sensibilities. I'll get over it, I'm sure.

I have a big fat case of the grumps, and I don't know why--I'm incredibly cranky and don't want to do any of the things I should be doing. What I'd most like to do is just leave work and hide out at home with no responsibilities and nothing to do. I don't even think I feel like knitting, that's how cranky I am. Hmph!

And with that, I'm going to stop writing because I'll just end up saying something cranky and stupid (as if I haven't already).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home