3.16.2006

A finished (yet unblocked) item!

I just wrote a big, long entry about this cutie-pie bunting I made for my almost-born nephew, when Blogger refused to publish it! Grrr. So, here's a summary of what you would have read if all went as planned:

This is the Dale of Norway bunting I made for nephew #3.











I love it, and love all of the details, like the little row of red at the turning row for the seatbelt flaps. What I don't love has nothing to do with the pattern, and everything to do with my wonky knitting--the flaps aren't even remotely rectangular, and I don't know why! Here's the wonky flap on the front:









And here's the cute little turn-row:









The cuffs are even turned in so there aren't any stray ends hanging loose for little fingers to catch. So cute! So well done!











So, my question is how to block the offending little flaps into being square/rectangular, considering the yarn is superwash wool. The pattern recommends using steam, which I've never done. Any suggestions? Comments? The baby's due any day, people--I need to get this project blocked! How?!?!? Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Alliesw said...

I have actually used steam to block superwash wool--just socks that were amazingly different in shape (considering the same person-me, knit them both on the same needles etc.) It worked pretty well--I pinned really carefully onto thick towels, and let loose with my rowenta steam iron 'til they were quite damp, and let dry. You might try just one or your "less than perfectly shaped" areas and see how it works--or, just don't tell anyone they're supposed to be square!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

If you knit the Little Runes, will you send me a digital pic?

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous!! My mom's been getting some dale of norway patterns, and planning on using them soon!
WOW! a bunting with carseat flaps! how cool...
I love how the color work is over such a small area, yet because of that it's so striking! - Lovely colors BTW

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nerdy Knitter,

I just steamed a baby sweater (for our mutual friend Stevie B's upcoming baby) for the first time and it worked great. I didn't even pin the sweater, just ironed, and it looks "professional"

Your bunting is great! I'm sure no one will notice your trapezoids.

Your knitting librarian buddy in PA

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Nerdy Knitter said...

Thanks for all the comments--I was "this close" to breaking out the iron this weekend, but chickened out. I have to get it together, though, because Nephew #3 is due sometime between now and 3/31. Yikes!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My boss made me the exact same bunting when my daughter was born. It is a very nice baby gift.
Also I post on KR for the brannock device for you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home