7.02.2007

A lot can happen in 2 weeks

Okay, so i don't really have any excuses for my lack of posts, except that life has taken over my life, so to speak.

We had weekend house guests, which was tons of fun, but took some time away from blogging. My brother-in-law and his wife (my former roommate) were at the Nerdy House for 3 1/2 days. We had tons of fun, including, but not limited to: making homemade pasta, sauce, and "meat boulders" (the name from the cookbook); attending a local minor-minor league baseball game; golfing (for the Nerdy Boys); lunching with girlfriends (for the Nerdy Girls, naturally); eating icecream cake--it's Nerdy Brother-in-Law's AND Nerdy Sister-in-Law-in-Law's birthdays in June; and playing a really fun
game.

Sadly, our planned domino game came to a screeching halt when we discovered we no longer have a full set...a small child visited Nerdy House once, and decided the dominoes were really cool. We have no idea where the missing few tiles might have gone. Nerdy House isn't a big house, so possible hiding spaces are few. No matter--we've moved on and found a new fun game, so that's fine.

In true Nerdy Knitter fashion, I brought my current WIP to the baseball game (I'm not much of a sports fan...sorry). I knit away, making nice progress, then didn't touch the knitting again until Monday, at work, when I discovered an error FOUR ROWS below my current row. Yup, that error occured sometime during the baseball game. Grr! I wonder if it was when a boy brought "his" fire extinguisher to show his grandfather. (His reasoning was, and I quote, "I found it. It's mine!")

But I've been making progress ever since. Here's where I am at this moment:


The colors don't look so hot, but it's really gorgeous, honest. My friend,
J, who was at my house yesterday for a mini-knitalong, said, "It looks so much better than the photo!" So now you know--I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't play one on this blog.

Speaking of J...she came over to knit with me while we both worked our Mystery Stoles. Yup, we're both signed up for
Mystery Stole #3, the brainchild of Melanie of Pink Lemon Twist. The mystery behind the project is that no one (except Melanie, of course) knows what the finished design will be. We receive a clue (in chart format) every Friday, and knit that up without knowing what comes next. This past Friday was the first clue, and here's my version of the finished product:

I'm using KnitPicks Shadow yarn (Sunset color) on US4 needles.


J, on the other hand, is using a different yarn (Zephyr wool silk, I think), but also on US4s. Here's her project so far (she hadn't finished the chart yet in this photo):

The design incorporates beads, which is a new technique for me. My beads are teeny-tiny, so you can't quite see them in the photo, but trust me when I say they're sparkly and pretty.

I obsessed (surprise!) over the "clue," and finished early Sunday morning. That left me most of Sunday to get back to the vest, which is what I did. I've started the armhole shaping/steeks, and the v-neck shaping/steeks. So exciting!

In addition to all of the fun knitting work I did this weekend, I also worked with Nerdy Hubby on getting all of my office furniture back into my office. That was difficult, partially because I have so much crap/stuff, and it's a small office, which looks even smaller when you cram it full of crap/stuff. Plus, going through the piles of stuff that had been irreperably damaged in the flood was really depressing. Sigh.

The fun part is that I chose a different placement for my desk and my bookshelves, and I'm very pleased with it. No photo yet because I haven't unpacked all of the stuff. Once it's in a more organized state, I'll post a photo.

And more happy news: my friend, N, had her baby last weekend! You may have read about N in my blog before--she lives in New Zealand, and we've never met for real. We were matched up for a secret pal program, and have been fast friends ever since. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy on June 23. His name is Flynn. Neat, huh? I'm so excited for her & her family!

We had a very eventful pooch weekend, what with bunny chasing and "swimming" (he ran away, while chasing a bunny, got in the woods, then into the stream, then came back, muddy & stinky, just in time to get in the car), and obedience class, and all. Beasty Boy is doing well in class, which is really good to see. He even came when I called him through what the teacher called the "tunnel of love" (it's a gauntlet of dogs lying on the floor), which was major.

So I think that's the whole update. Fun stuff! Now I just have to find time to fit in a pair of tube socks for Nephew2 whose birthday was last month!

If anyone's interested in signing up for the Mystery Stole #3 knitalong, the final sign-up date isn't until later this week...c'mon, everyone's doing it! Honest: Nerdy Mommy AND my friend, the
Librarian Knitter, not to mention my friend, J, are all doing it. Now's your chance...sign up!

2 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Boy, are you an enabler! Egging people on to join MS3! What do you want them to do? Have fun? Knit fabulous stoles? Be real...
Actually, I really like your stole so far, love the color. Visiting all the different blogs and seeing people's progress is a hoot, but I'm spending more time cruising than knitting!

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Opal said...

you may not be a professional photographer, but your WIP still looks fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home