5.29.2007

Knitting and pooches--perfect together (well...)

Okay, so they don't quite go together, but this post will mention both, so deal with it. :-)

I've got photos to show and stories to tell, so sit back and relax.

First photo is my finished "
Shapely Tank" from White Lies Designs. I'm sorry I didn't make it one size smaller, but I'm learning to like it as a vest, so I think it's okay. The yarn is made-for-elann silk/cashmere in a beautiful watermelon pink/red. The recommended gauge was 5.5 sts/in but the pattern called for 5 sts/in. I decided to go with the pattern's gauge and to allow the fabric to be drapier, which is what happened. It's pretty long--almost a tunic, actually, which is another reason I'm using it as a vest. I purposely knit more length than I thought it needed because I wanted it to be similar in length to one of my favorite shirts. Somehow I managed to mess that up and it's really long, but that's okay--I like the way it looks on me, and that's the important part. (The "lumps" you see at the chest are the darts that give more shape to the bust area; they don't look so good off of a body, but they are flattering on a real live body, honest.)















The next photo is of our pooch-a-loo, Henry, who was just so cute this weekend, hanging out under our table while we played backgammon (I'm addicted to backgammon--no matter how many times I lose, I always beg to play another game. "My name is Nerdy Knitter. I'm a backgammon-aholic."). Here's our boy now:




















Could he get any cuter?! Look at those cute speckly paws! And his silly little wonky ear that never lies flat. Oh, he's cute-cute-cute-cute!

And the story I have to tell is related to our boy. I've probably complained in previous posts about what a 100% beast Henry is when we try to walk with him. He's a 60-pound powerhouse of a dog when you get him outside. We've learned from trainers how we should handle his pulling, and it's easier said than done, let me tell you. The biggest problem is that we're supposed to stop every time he pulls--he's such a nut case that this means stopping with every single solitary step. No fun. Plus, he pulls so hard that he usually injures us in some way (neck, back, shoulders...you get the idea).

Well, we watched the Dog Whisperer this weekend, and unbeknownst to me, Cesar really got through to Nerdy Hubby. Nerdy Hubby realized that Henry wasn't submissive enough to his humans when out in the "wild" that is our yard/street. Nerdy Hubby also realized that his attitude needed to change to communicate calmness to our easily-upset pooch. So, Nerdy Hubby and former-beast, Henry, practiced and practiced walking calmly, stopping when he got too excited, with a slight sound (if you've seen "Dog Whisperer," you know the "tch!" sound he makes) to let him know he needs to get back on track. I won't say he's "cured," but he has made significant progress in just a matter of 3 days. Both Nerdy Humans have been out and about, walking with the boy, and he's getting better. I don't want to count our chickens before they're hatched, but I feel like we're making progress. This will be a huge change in our lives if we can get to the point where we can take Henry with us when we go for walks. Then our "only" other problem will be carrying the calm environment to the car...hmmm...how to do that...

I have more knitting-related news, too, but it's time to go. Basically, I knit a vest for afghans for Afghans, and I love it (even learned to do single crochet!). No photo yet. I also knit a Nordic ski hat with THREE colors at once! (Photos later.)

Happy back-to-work day, everyone.

5 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You have been busy! Love the tank (any chance we can see it on the model???).

Congratulations on getting the beast out of Henry. That is big. Sammie has a harness that prevents him from tugging, but I would like him to be more aware of us when we walk.

I am very excited to see the vest using my yarn. Is there a photo coming?

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Beautiful tank! The shape looks wonderful. And I love the red color.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Bess said...

Isn't the dog whisperer the most amazing thing? I love being the pack leader for my dogs and they love it so much too. And walking them! so fabulously good for us both.

Great looking tank. I think I might just have to make one myself. That read will look fabulous on you.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I have been mulling over doing that pattern....now I am one step closer....good to hear you are taming the "beast".

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Curly Cable said...

Lovely Photo of Henry, he is gorgeous. Got cute little feet too.
Beautiful Tank by the way too, gorgeous colour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home