4.16.2007

Introducing...Nerdy Knitter, as interviewed by Maia

First, I have to start with a big thank-you for the nice comments about the Nerdy Vest. I'm so very pleased with it (and myself, naturally--hee hee hee), that your comments are really nice to read.

And the haircut support doesn't hurt, either. I had someone tell me I looked 15 years younger, and I just laughed...I really look a lot like a photo of me from elementary school. Being at a college with young students is funny--I look more and more like the students than I do the faculty. But that's fine with me.

Enough about me and my age issues!

I asked Maia to write 5 questions for me after reading the 5 questions she answered on her blog. Her interviewer was very thoughtful and asked really good questions, and I know Maia to be a thoughtful person, too, so I knew her interview questions would be thought-provoking.

I was right:

What is your favorite thing to do on a date night (just you and hubby)?

This is a funny question because we've become such early-to-bed folks that "date NIGHTS" are pretty uneventful. What we really like to do together is to take "Sunday Drives" around our area. We recently (3 years ago) bought a house in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so we're still exploring our neck of the woods and love seeing the mountains from different roads near our house. Plus, being in the car is an intimate space for conversation, so we often have nice chats while we're driving.

I also love taking my morning walk with Nerdy Hubby. It's 2 miles on a gravel country road with nice views and occasional cows or other critters. Basically, any time I get to stroll with Nerdy Hubby is a good time. We used to walk quite often when we were dating, so it's fun to reminisce (holy cow--I can't spell that word!).

I know your dog, Henry, can be a handful at times, but he is also a great joy for you. How has Henry changed your life?

Yikes! I assume you want the positive ways he's changed our lives, right? Hee hee. We love our boy, but he's certainly a handful.

I think having a scaredy-pooch has taught both of us patience because we have to remember that he's doing whatever neurotic thing he's doing because he doesn't understand something that's going on in his world. Sometimes that's as simple as being skiddish around a shadow, while other times, like Maia's pooch, it's when Nerdy Hubby raises his voice while watching sports. When we first brought Henry to obedience class, we were apologizing for his behavior, saying "It takes him a while to get used to new things," and the instructor very calmly said, "Me, too." That was really important for us to hear--Henry's not the only critter, canine, human, or otherwise, who needs time to adjust to new situations.

So we're still learning patience around our poor boy.

But we also laugh so much more with him around--he's a constant source of amusement. He never stops trying to convince us to play with him, which usually starts out as a nuisance, but then we end up laughing at his persistence.

We've learned a lot about each other, too, of course--I'm the softy and Nerdy Hubby is the Big Meanie. (I knew that already, but caring for Henry has confirmed it.)

If you were to switch careers, what would you pick?

Let me start out by saying that my Myers/Briggs personality type is ENFP. I had a career counselor tell me that this translates to my wanting to do a bunch of different things, and that I could be good at all of them. I don't know about all of that, but it helps to explain my semi-short attention span when it comes to career goals.

Right now I'm a reference librarian, and I like it just fine. When Nerdy Hubby's PhD is complete, we'll be moving to wherever he finds a job, and I'll be looking for a new job. Chances are, I won't look for a library job because I'll have the opportunity to start over with something new.

I have a certificate in graphic design because that's what I really would like to try next, but jobs in that field in this area are few and far between, especially when you compare the entry-level salary to my current salary.

But if I could have ANY job I wanted right NOW, I think I would pick being a radio interviewer a la Diana Rehm. I really enjoy her program--she's based in Washington, DC, and interviews authors, actors, activists, politicians, and other experts in a wide range of fields. I have insatiable curiosity, so I would love to have a job that allowed me to ask questions of fascinating people every day. So, if anyone reading this knows Diane Rehm and wants to plant the idea for me to be her apprentice, feel free to mention my name...

What is your favorite travel destination? Or where would you most like to visit?

Nerdy Hubby & I were just talking about our attitudes toward travel last night, and it's kind of funny. We both love learning about new places and cultures and all of those reasons people travel, but we stronly dislike the logistics of travel. I don't like living out of bags. I don't like eating at restaurants every day (yes, I know, this is not a requirement of travel). I don't like lugging stuff, whether it's packing/unpacking the car or schlepping to/from airports. No bed is as comfortable as our bed, so we're often uncomfortable elsewhere.

But with all of that said, I guess I will say that the one area I hope Nerdy Hubby & I will get to visit at some point is Australia/New Zealand. I was a Rotary International Exchange Student to Australia when I was a senior in high school and I've never made it back there. Now I have a close friend, N, who lives in New Zealand, and we've never met for real, so I'm anxious to try to get to NZ to meet her and her family.

If you could travel (temporarily) inside the story of any book, which one would you pick and why?

This is such an interesting question--it sounds easy, and then once you think about it, it becomes clear that the books we enjoy reading might not be the best places to exist, even temporarily. For example, if your favorite fiction is set in a time when women were repressed and mistreated, I doubt you'd choose to live there, even for a moment.

So, with that said, I think I'd really like to live in Tove Jansson's books. I read them when I was young, and there's a real sense of innocence and happiness that I think would be refreshing to experience. Plus the characters are wonderful and odd--I love this one girl, Little My, who bites people on the ankle!

My second choice would be Pippi Longstocking, I think, because I always dreamt of doing the crazy things she could do.

I'm sure I'll think of a zillion other possible choices later, which is also part of being an ENFP, I believe.

Thanks, Maia, for such a great interview.

If anyone would like me to ask THEM 5 questions, let me know in the comments. I hope I can do as well as Maia did with mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home