5.18.2006

For my One Skein Secret Pal

Well, I haven't actually heard from my One Skein pal yet, but I have faith that s/he is out there somewhere, so I'm going to post the answers to our get-to-know-you questions here.

Pal, this is for you!

1. Which fiber is most like your personality?

I don't know about fiber content...I love how soft merino is, and I'm not quite upscale enough to be cashmere...the color is what I think I can identify best--that mixture of pink and orange that's like a dish of sherbet. It's used for kids' clothing a lot (what does that say about me, I wonder?). I love that combination, and I think it indicates my cheery, happy nature.
2. What is your favorite color yarn to knit with?

I am often drawn to colors I can't wear (well, I could wear them, but I'd look like death). I looooove weathered colors, especially faded pumpkin, heathered pinks and purples, saturated burgundies and eggplants, and one of my favorites is "maize," basically a nice, faded, natural cornmeal yellow. The colors that actually suit me are the reds and purples and blues that I enjoy wearing, but aren't the ones that draw me to yarns for some reason.
3. Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns?

I made socks for my nephew from some Opal yarn, and one of my first pairs of socks was from a self-striping yarn. I recently bought some more self-striping yarn to try socks again, but haven't used it yet. I really like hand-dyed variegated yarns.
4. Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns?

Not really--color is really what captures my interest, although I've learned that better yarns are better in a lot of cases (to avoid pilling after wear). But I don't have any prejudices against "unnatural" fibers.
5. Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn?

I don't care--I have a ball-winder and a swift, so I can wind skeins on my own. I can never find the center-pull piece when I try, and end up with a knotted mess, but I still try.
6. Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them?

I haven't used organic yarns, but I have used recycled sari silk and recycled cotton (from fabric factory remnants), and I'm really interested in using bamboo.
7. How many and what projects have you made in the last year?

I'm not quite sure...if I look at an exact 12-month period from now, I'd say...1 pair of socks (kid-sized), 4 shawls (2 lace, one garter, 1 Clapotis), 3 scarves, 2 sweaters (1 for DH, and 1 for Nephew#2), 2 secret projects for a swap (I haven't given the gift yet), 1 "shelf-warmer" (aka a ponchette), 1 baby bunting (for Nephew#3), 2 felted heart-shaped bowls (hostess gifts), 1 pair of baby booties, 1 stuffed toy (tiger? bear?)...I think that's it.
8. Will you be knitting any gifts this year?

Yes, I hope to knit for a friend's wedding gift and maybe for some birthdays. I promised a friend I'd make a Wonderful Wallaby for her little boy who's 2.
9. What is your favorite one skein project?

Right now, I've just discovered the Java a Go-Go from MagKnits and love it! I think I might be making a ton of those with my little bits of yarn in my stash. Hee hee hee.
10. How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it?

I have no idea how much yarn I have, but it's an alarming amount, in my mind. It doesn't hold a candle to other knitters' stash, I'm sure, but it kind of embarrasses me. I store it in clear plastic tubs in my office. I have a lot of leftover partial skeins and small amounts of nice yarn I've received in swaps. I have very little in my stash that would enable me to make a whole garment!
11. Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never use it or part with it?

I do have this huuuuuge ball of rewound yarn that someone gave to me once. It had been partially knit into a bizarre rectangular shape like it was going to be a placemat. It's a combination of a bunch of luxurious-looking yarns in pinks, reds, and purples. I don't have a clue how much yarn is in there, and I don't know what to do with it, so I've been enjoying looking at the ball. Not sure when I'll ever actually use it.
12. Do you knit less or differently in the summer?

Not that I know of--nothing conscious. I used to stay late at work so I could knit in a nice, air-conditioned environment, but that was before I lived in a place with central air conditioning. Now it doesn't matter how hot or cold it is outside--the inside is plenty comfy.
13. Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)?

Well, I'm on Knitters Review and Knitting Help. I have weird work hours that make it almost impossible to meet up with any in-person groups.
14. Please confirm your mailing address--I'll do that when I hear from my pal.

So, now "all" of my readers know all about my knitting preferences. If it makes you want to rush out to the store to buy something you know I'll just love, I won't stop you. Hee hee.

1 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here! I'm gathering info on ya! I'll be emailing you tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home