2.18.2006

What's up with the weather?!

So, yesterday was incredibly gorgeous (we're talking mid- to high 60s people), and this morning...SNOW! I'm not kidding...we're supposed to get up to 1", which isn't really much in the grand scheme of things, I know, but it was SIXTY-plus yesterday. Let me say that again: SIXTY DEGREES! And, obviously, in order for snow to form, the temperature must be significantly lower than that...somewhere perilously close to freezing, as a matter of fact. Grrr.

So much for the poor little crocuses poking their innocent little heads above ground yesterday.

But, at least it makes knitting on a wool sweater more logical--if yesterday's weather continued, I might have been forced to abandon the just-begun "Rhapsody in Tweed" for something lighter and summerier (I know, it's not a word, but I'm the author, so I can do what I please--so there).

My sleeve/swatch for Rhapsody is moving right along. I almost went into brain freeze trying to do the math to make the sleeve increases move at the right pace to lengthen the sleeve to fit my long-armed hubby. I didn't want to just increase the way the pattern does, then have a large section at the top of the sleeve that was the full width. If I understand the pattern correctly, this would result in a bunch of bulk right under the arm. Not attractive or comfortable!

So, math almost killed me, but I think I've got it figured out. We'll see when I get to the end. The test will be if I actually get the right total number of stitches AND the right length. I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you...I'm not so good with math, and even worse when I have to combine it with logic. Trust me on this.

But the pattern itself is moving along nicely--it's just a little 3-sitch cable rib, but it's going pretty quickly. Considering I had been knitting on a fair isle vest (Ron Schweitzer design...gorgeous!) on size 1 needles, this new project is super-fast (size 7 needles--what a concept!). [Don't ask why I abandoned the fair isle project, just trust me when I say that gauge is a major issue in my knitting life.]

I'm looking forward to finishing sleevie #1 so I can move on to the body, though--it has all kinds of beautiful cabling that should be fun. I think I'll always do the first sleeve before the body when I do sweaters--it should make doing the 2nd sleeve less boring. We'll see. Sleeves for my hubby's sweaters are always tedious because of the aforementioned long-arm "problem." But that's why handknits are great--they can be customized to fit!

Now I just need to learn how to customize patterns, and I'll be all set. Grr. Maybe it will snow and snow and snow (I know, they said 1", but I can always hope), and I"ll have lots of indoor knitting time this weekend. That is, if Mr. Brat-Child (aka Henry), doesn't drive me crazy. Knitting isn't playing, and that's no fun for anyone but me. Maybe we could find a little doggie sedative...no, I'm just kidding...well...yes, I guess I am...I think...


1 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Bridget Whalen-Nevin said...

Just knit one sleeve. Assemble the rest and just hand it to Mark with a great big TAAADAAA! Look hurt if he mentions the missing sleeve. :):)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home